Re: Indigo R3000, Indigo R4000 and Indy R5000

Hello!

Dear Frank,

>Ok, in the end I used another narrow SCSI disk (a ST39216N, the original
>disk is a ST1280N) that just worked.
>
>As I don't have my Indys at hand currently, I followed "Installing
>without sysinst" ([1]) and installed NetBSD (NetBSD-daily/HEAD
>/201808230630Z) on disk from my working diskless NetBSD installation -
>actually two times, as I didn't anticipate that one needs to reserve some
>space at the beginning of the disk for the SGI volume header as
>mentioned on [2]. :-D

I really appreciate everything you have done.
It will take a lot of time to finish "Installing without sysinst".
This is a heavy task.

>[   9.0068690] warning: no /dev/console
I think following is a need.
(I wonder if it was failure )
# cd /target_hdd/dev
# ./MAKEDEV all

>/etc/rc.conf is not configured.  Multiuser boot aborted.
Please rewrite "rc_configured=YES"

>The result is working:
I'm so glad.

...apart from the MAC address patch that is not yet included in the ELF
image.

It slipped my mind!
Try this kerne.
(I think I'm OK)
https://github.com/nullnilaki/NetBSD_irisboot/blob/master/IndigoR3K/re_netbsd_elf

>I have not yet managed to configure the NVRAM vars in a way that would
>allow to just issue `boot` in the PROM monitor to boot the installed
>NetBSD. The kernel name and path is not actually hardcoded in
>`irisboot`, right? Because with an adapted default NVRAM config it
>doesn't work to just use `boot` like for IRIX:

That questions was reasonable.
Let me explain about that.

SGI machines are roughly 2 categories.
ARCS machine: Crimson, Indigo R4K, Indy, Indigo2, O2, Octane...
NO ARCS machine: Indigo R3K, Personal IRIS, IRIS Power series...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCS_(computing)

ARC is a standard and open.
I know how to use ARCS routine.

For example:
https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/sgimips/stand/common/boot.c#177
Therefore, I recognize OSLoadPartition environment variable.

https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/sgimips/stand/common/boot.c#190
Therefore, I recognize OSLoadFilename environment variable.

On the contrary, NO ARCS machine's PROM(NVRAM) routine is proprietary and close.
I don’t know how to use NO ARCS machine's PROM(NVRAM) routine.
No one knows it besides SGI.
Disassembling sash binary is very very hard.
(Please remember Indigo R3K MAC address promblem)

As a result, It is necessary to input target disk and kernel name.
I know it sucks, but please give me a break...

>Say, which PR refers to the kernel patch(es) (incl. the MAC address fix for early Indigo R3K)?
>It would be cool to be able to build that kernel for future NetBSD releases.
I hadn't sent Indigo R3000 patch yet.
Give me a sec to explain...
As the reason, My Indigo ran out of battery a few days ago!
https://twitter.com/nullnilaki/status/1031949233857880064

I will send Indigo R3K patch in 2 months at the latest.
I'll contact you later.

---
Naruaki Etomi