Re: X11 configuration

Morning,

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:30:42 -0400
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Apr 15, 2009, at 1:09 PM, T. M. Pederson wrote:
>
> > Morning,
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:09:48 -0400
> > Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > [...]
> >> On Apr 15, 2009, at 8:57 AM, T. M. Pederson wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Oh for crying out loud. I/O access: on is the case that works?
> >
> > Essentially. "Before" is wscons=YES, but with text vt's only, where
> > the fifth vt is blank. "After" is the result of launching X and xterm
> > on top of that.
>
> So the Xserver enables IO access There's one thing left to try. Please
> use the pcitweak utility ( comes with X ) to change the command
> register to 0x0007 before starting X, then see if it still crashes. It
> will likely mess up your console on exit anyway but it should not
> crash the machine.
> I don't see what that would have to do with virtual consoles being
> configured or not but right now I don't really see anything that makes
> any sense at all.

Turns out that with a radeonfb kernel, the system has 0x0007 in the
command register by the time I can log in and check. (I'd previously
only checked under radeonfb after xdm started, to compare xdm
against what I saw with raw X on genfb.)

That does make some difference; wscons=YES works with xdm=YES. The
system still hangs when X resets though.

On the other hand, startx works with a radeonfb kernel where it doesn't
work with genfb. (I'm even more mystified, but this, at least, is
progress.)

On the other, other hand, I tried pcitweak with a genfb kernel, and
can now start xdm after bootup.

So, current list:
genfb:
* xdm=YES, wscons=NO gets xdm login screen at boot
  lockup on login
  lockup if /etc/rc.d/xdm is run after bootup unless the command
    register is 0x0007
* xdm=YES, wscons=YES gets immediate lockup
* startx gets immediate lockup
* bare X can start, hangs on reset

radeonfb:
* xdm=YES gets xdm login screen