Re: X11 configuration

Hello,

On Apr 10, 2009, at 6:12 PM, T. M. Pederson wrote:

if you just start the Xserver itself, then start an xterm via ssh and
close it again?

Closing the xterm gets an (almost) immediate lockup. I say "almost" as
the pts in which I'd launched xterm had enought time to follow up with
the usual prompt before everthing went tango uniform.

Or, to be explicit:
oasis$ xterm
oasis$ Connection closed by foreign host.

Ok, so it's the Xserver exiting.

I suspect your session dies and for some reason the Xserver manages to
provoke a panic on exit.

That would fit very closely with what I've seen.

Ok.

Does the mini have a reset button?

Sadly no.

Damn. So there's no way to get it out of a deadlock without power cycling?

Try this before startx:
sysctl -w ddb.commandonenter=reboot
If it's a panic that should reboot the machine and hopefully preserve
the panic message in the dmesg buffer.

Oooh. I'd been completely overlooking this (in spite of recent threads
elsewhere mentioning it). Thanks!

Although, sysctl.conf already has ddb.onpanic=0, which I'd expect to
take precedence?

I'm not sure, I never used that - please remove it, maybe it has some funny side effects like suppressing the panic message. Maybe the mini gets stuck trying to reboot which wouldn't be too unusual given the circumstances.

Hmm, this gets nothing: The dmesg buffer just has the kernel boot lines.

So it did reboot with this?
I forgot the syntax to cram more than one command in there - maybe try 'bt;reboot" hoping that would give us a backtrace?

Btw. are you using genfb or radeonfb now?

have fun
Michael