Re: X11 configuration

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:39:39 -0400
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Apr 9, 2009, at 5:32 PM, T. M. Pederson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:23:50 -0400
> > Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> On Mar 26, 2009, at 10:31 AM, T. M. Pederson wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> I suggest you have a look at your Xorg logfile - according to the one
> >> you attached the Xserver is up and running. Apparently it's using a
> >> video mode your monitor doesn't like. Here's the relavant bit:
> >
> > I don't know what "doesn't like" is supposed to mean in this context.
> > I'd expect a sync issue of some sort, but what?
>
> Something it can't display.

Except that at the time these logs were generated, it did display (xdm
login window). The mouse and keyboard worked normally, too.

> >> (II) RADEON(0): EDID vendor "PCK", prod id 226
> >> (II) RADEON(0): DDCModeFromDetailedTiming: 1920x1200 Warning: We only
> >> handle seperate sync.
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Output: S-video, Detected Monitor Type: 0
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 connected
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 using initial mode 1920x1200
> >> Also:
> >> (WW) RADEON(0): Video BIOS not detected, using default clock
> >> settings!
> >> (II) RADEON(0): Probed PLL values: xtal: 27.000000 Mhz, sclk:
> >> 249.750000 Mhz, mclk: 190.125000 Mhz
> >> (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=12 min=12500 max=35000;
> >> xclk=10514
> >>
> >> 27MHz reference clock is very common but may or may not be what your
> >> radeon is using. Please check your OpenFirmware device tree, the
> >> radeon's node should have a property with the correct clock. If you
> >> don't know what to look for please run ofctl -p and post the output.
> >
> > The dev tree lists it as 27MHz.
> >
> > I don't see how either of these cause the machine to lock up on login.
> > Both look like elements that I'd expect would cause the display to not
> > work at all.
>
> Exactly what I think happened - there is no lockup, just an unusable
> display. Without network plugged in you couldn't really tell the
> difference.

What? I had an ssh (and (k)telnet) session open at the time this happened.
The whole system locked up. The ssh session froze. The (k)telnet session
froze. The machine STOPPED responding to ANY attempts to contact it over
the network; over the CAT5 cable plugged into the machine. The monitor
lost signal. The keyboard stopped working (LEDs stopped, at least). And
the disk stopped getting anything written to it (estimating from the
state of the disk after reboot). I left it in that state for about 15
minutes, but nothing changed. If this isn't a lockup, then what is?

> > [...]
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to ask. Macppc has been all
> >> wscons for a long time.
> >
> > I'm trying to ask, since macppc is now wscons, how do I get xdm to
> > work with that?
>
> Again, it has nothing to do with wscons.

Huh? X11 only works in any way when wscons=NO. Any and all attempts to
start X when wscons=YES result in a complete lockup. I don't care that
it's not the fault of wscons. How do I get X to work WITH wscons? If
X cannot work with wscons, then I submit that macppc is not all wscons.

> > For that matter, how to I get xdm or startx to a working session at
> > all, assuming the Mini falls outside the range of having it all
> > (wscons, xdm and startx) work under the same config?
>
> ... and likely it has nothing to do with xdm or startx either.  I'd
> try some different video modes first.

All the ones I've tried have the SAME result. If wscons=NO, X can start
raw or with xdm and locks up on reset (startx fails immediately). If
wscons=YES, it all fails immediately. What video mode(s) would change
that, and how?