Re: Booting a G3 iBook

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:40:11AM -0500, T. M. Pederson wrote:
> > I presume that the firmware uses '0' as a unit number.
> I don't think so. On sparc(|64) any unit numbers must be
> explicitly set in the devalias (e.g., I've got disk0 - disk7
> defined in my workstation's devalias). I'm under the impression
> that Apple's OF works the same way for that aspect.

Well, I still don't know what was going on there, but...

> > It's a macppccd.iso from the isos directory.
>
> Huh. I'd expect the obvious form to work then.
> boot (devalias entry):,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc
>
> It's starting to sound like ofwboot.xcf is mangled....
>
> Or maybe the PRAMs have something odd? Have you done the
> full cycle of flushing the PRAMs?

Yes.  I found the problem, though.  I was using the macppccd.iso
from the releng server area, and those are not as fully-populated
as the macppccd.iso in the release directory.  I grabbed the 4.0.1
disc, and that works much better.  "boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc"

Now I need to get X working, etc...

Thanks,
-allen

--