Re: Booting a G3 iBook

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:45:29 -0400
Allen Briggs <briggs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:46:11AM -0500, T. M. Pederson wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:19:32 -0400
> > Allen Briggs <briggs%ninthwonder.com@localhost> wrote:
[...]
> > > It's OFW 3.  I tried:
> > >   boot cd0:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc
> > >   boot cd0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC
> > >   boot cd0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.MACPPC;1
> > >
> > > All with the same result.
> >
> > I'm going to bet there's no cd0 in the devaliases. Try:
> > cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc
>
> There is no "cd0", but there is a "cd" (as you surmise).
>
> > (Does that do it?)
>
> Nope.  That doesn't appear to get as far.  With "cd0:...", I
> get "Loading XCOFF" and a few other lines I can't see--I think
> it's just the section information--before the grey screen with
> circle/slash.  With "cd:..." I get the usual "Unrecognized client
> program..."

I'm mystified as to how cd0 works when there's no cd0....

Anyway. Another thing is, is this a multi-cd? Or a macppc
only cd? IIRC, the multi-cd's won't work with the first form
of the boot command, requiring something like:
boot cd:\OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MAC (possibly with the ;1
appended to each part).

I've been going at this with the 4.0.1 images, and got the
macppc only cd to boot with the first two variants (although
using cd instead of cd0).

> I found an OS X disk, and I'll try partitioning, etc.

Good luck! (I had to install netbsd first so as to get at the
mac's dvdrw to burn a bootable cd.... While I got ofwboot.xcf
to work from cds and hds, I haven't gotten it to work over
netboot.)