Port-alpha archive

Re: Permedia 3 and Xorg (on AXP)

Hello!

I am pm3fb contributor.

See:
http://gnats.netbsd.org/49518

I'm not good at English, so I'm sorry if it is difficult for you to
understand my English.

Two(pm3fb and glint) driver have a different "Design concept" respectively.

pm3fb driver:
This is framebuffer "console" driver.
1280x1024x8 16 MB is enough functions.

I omit the process investigate VRAM(scratch VRAM).

* Permedia 3 always return 64MB fbsize
* 16 MB should be enough -- more just wastes map entries
if (sc->sc_fbsize != 0)
    sc->sc_fbsize = (16 << 20);

glint driver:
This is Xorg's fully accelerated driver.

wsfb driver:
This is Xorg's wsdisplay framebuffer devices driver.
This is a non-accelerated driver.

When NetBSD/alpha 6 version, only support ancient Xfree86 driver.
(/usr/X11R6/bin/XdecNetBSD etc...)

However, NetBSD/alpha 8 version, support Xorg's driver.

Please use Xorg's glint driver if you use a INSECURE kernel.

>X is broken too (right of the screen, about 5%, is noisy)

I think problem of compatibility about Display.
I will investigate it.

--
Naruaki Etomi
nullnilaki%gmail.com@localhost