Re: long-broken packages (some are removal candidates)

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 07:32:14AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> The question on the table, however, has almost nothing to do with that,
> and is:
>
>   What are the benefits to pkgsrc by making DESTDIR mode the only way to
>   build packages?  Do those benefits outweigh the disadvantage of
>   removing packges that are working (in non-DESTDIR mode) and in some
>   use?

Supporting both comes with a significant amount of legacy code in both
pkgsrc/mk and pkg_install itself. I'd say removing support for
registering already "installed" packages from pkg_add alone is a good
justification for stopping to support packages with completely messed up
build systems.

The other major item is that adding support for building more than one
package from a single location (consider e.g. databases/postgresql*) is
a lot easier if it doesn't has to care about direct installation to
$PREFIX and all the associated mess.

Note: moving things (back) to wip is not relevant in this context, it
doesn't solve the problem after all.

Joerg