Re: Making DESTDIR support mandatory

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 08:30:58AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 05:40:14PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>  > I am going to make USE_DESTDIR the unconditional default after the
>  > branch. It's been hold off long enough already.
>
> Are you intending to fix either of the problems I have repeatedly
> brought up / asked you about before? To wit:
>
> 1. Building packages with USE_DESTDIR by default accumulates binary
> package tarballs in /usr/pkgsrc/packages, so switching to it causes a
> silent behavior change that's both annoying to cope with and difficult
> or impossible to disable.

It has been pointed out before that you can use package-clean for this.
You are free to implemented more involved behavior.

> 2. undo-replace does not work with USE_DESTDIR, which is a significant
> regression.

Surprisingly noone seems to care enough to provide patches. Given that
replace works quite different as well, undo-replace is naturally quite a
different beast (if desired), since the update can now actually pull in
required dependencies etc.

Joerg