Re: Making DESTDIR support mandatory

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 04:55:57PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
 > > Are you intending to fix either of the problems I have repeatedly
 > > brought up / asked you about before? To wit:
 > >
 > > 1. Building packages with USE_DESTDIR by default accumulates binary
 > > package tarballs in /usr/pkgsrc/packages, so switching to it causes a
 > > silent behavior change that's both annoying to cope with and difficult
 > > or impossible to disable.
 >
 > It has been pointed out before that you can use package-clean for this.

Yes, and it has also been pointed out before that the default behavior
should remain as it was.

 > You are free to implemented more involved behavior.

In other words, you aren't intending to fix it. I see.

 > > 2. undo-replace does not work with USE_DESTDIR, which is a significant
 > > regression.
 >
 > Surprisingly noone seems to care enough to provide patches. Given that
 > replace works quite different as well, undo-replace is naturally quite a
 > different beast (if desired), since the update can now actually pull in
 > required dependencies etc.

The obligation to fix it is primarily on the person who broke it...

Unless you are planning to decree that undo-replace is no longer going
to be supported? Was that discussed anywhere? (rhetorical question, I
know the answer's no)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost