Re: Making DESTDIR support mandatory

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:33:18AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   we are not at the point that only 127 packages in the main tree don't
>   support DESTDIR. I want to make it a required feature now and mark all
>   remaining packages explicitly as BROKEN after the branch. Please help
>   adding DESTDIR support if you use anything remaining on the list.
>
> A reasonable step would be to have packages fail to build if USE_DESTDIR
> is on but they don't support it, instead of falling back to non-DESTDIR
> builds.  That would provide more of an encouragement to fix packages,
> but without needlessly withdrawing the ability to use a package for
> those who aren't yet using DESTDIR.

The DESTDIR project started in in 2007. A warning for developer has been
provided since May 2009. I think that is more than enough time to
encourage fixing things.

> Or did you mean you are proposing to remove support for non-DESTDIR
> builds?  (It seems quite a bit too early for that.)

That is the next step. I am going to make USE_DESTDIR the unconditional
default after the branch. It's been hold off long enough already.

Joerg