Re: Real life use of pkgsrc from a happy user

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:34:17 +0300
Hasso Tepper <hasso%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> All these variables don't help you much if you want just painless upgrade.
> All (yes, I really mean it) upgrade methods in pkgsrc are much (yes, I
> really mean this as well) more complicated than they should be. There are
> hundreds of ways to break things during upgrade form both source and
> binary packages - major bumps of libraries alone can cause major
> problems.
>
> And in fact I agree - why the hell all upgrade methods from binary
> packages remove packages at first?
>
> There is a lot to do to make pkgsrc really usable from nowadays standards
> point of view.
>

> --
> Hasso Tepper

Really?  "pkg_rolling-replace -u" is "more complicated than it should be?"  And
that's the method I know of that doesn't deinstall everything before it updates
packages; it builds a list of packages to upgrade, then uses [b]make replace on
them, fixing the dependencies along the way.  I've been using it now for over a
year with no problems as far as reliability goes, and I can still use my system
while the upgrade is taking place.

Now, I'll admit that method isn't useful when you're updating from binary
packages, but when you're updating from source I've yet to find anything that
involves less hassle.

So tell me, how is using "pkg_rolling-replace -u" more complicated than it
should be?
--
- Dave V.