Re: Real life use of pkgsrc from a happy user

* On 2009-09-10 at 10:36 BST, Hasso Tepper wrote:

> Jonathan Perkin wrote:
>
> > * On 2009-09-10 at 09:34 BST, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> >
> > > And in fact I agree - why the hell all upgrade methods from binary
> > > packages remove packages at first?
> >
> > The bulk build && pkg_chk upgrade method which many people use does
> > not suffer from this.  I think we should push this method much more.
>
> 'pkg_chk -b -P /my/path -u' still removes all packages which need an
> upgrade and all packages depending on these and install all these again
> then.

Sure, but is this a problem?  I don't know how much work it'd be to loosen
dependancies so that this didn't happen, but I imagine it'd be quite a lot
to get it right, extra complexity, and I don't see much advantage other
than the upgrade step taking a little less time to complete.

> Even with binary packages ... What's the clean upgrade path for user
> when glib major version was bumped? OK, this might even work somehow
> (glib in in pkgsrc), but if libc major version was bumped?

For something this major I don't see it unreasonable to rebuild packages
against the new base system, just as you would do for a major OS update.

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/