Re: Real life use of pkgsrc from a happy user

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:56:06 -0500
"Larson, Timothy E." <TELarson%west.com@localhost> wrote:

> > ...That is why afaik many *BSD users today are using Gentoo Linux if
> > linux is
> > "required" within a project.
> >
> > The Gentoo Linux portage system bases on a widely similiar concept like
> > pgksrc, ports and pkgs.
>
> I know a fellow that had been trying to use pkgsrc on IRIX for a long time,
> and finally switched over to portage and got much better results.
> <http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16720597>  Personally I feel
> that's a bit unfortunate for us, but maybe we can learn from what portage is
> doing right.

From what I read in his forum post, it sounded like he was mainly fed up with
having to upgrade all dependencies if he needed to upgrade a package, and that
pkgsrc would deinstall the package and its dependencies (using [b]make update)
and start over.  He could have used pkg_rolling-replace and USE_DESTDIR=yes and
gotten around that problem.

There are a lot of wonderful variables and helper programs in pkgsrc that,
unfortunately, aren't documented outside of this mailing list.  Maybe if we
changed that more people would be willing to use pkgsrc.  I know I wouldn't
have known what USE_DESTDIR does, let alone started to use it, if I hadn't been
subscribed to this list.  The same with pkg_rolling-replace.  It seems to me
that newcomers to pkgsrc might be more willing to stick with it if they knew
about these things.
--
- Dave V.