Re: How big should wd0e (/var) be

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 3:52 AM <gary%duzan.org@localhost> wrote:
>> p.s. NetBSD does have ZFS, but I haven't tried it, and I seem to recall
>> some discussion of stability issues.
>
> I have been using it for a few years, never had any stability issues.
> However, root on ZFS remains a bit challenging IIRC. I put ZFS on /usr
> instead, which requires having a minimal /usr that is used during
> boot.

There are definitely stability issues.  I have had two machines lock up
hard, multiple times, with netbsd-10 and pool with a single disk.  It
seems to take lots of activity (pkgsrc builds with elevated MAKE_JOBS)
and the system running low on RAM.  It smells to me like a locking error
that usually, it gets away with.

One of the systems that locks up has 32G of RAM.  But I run firefox on
it, and now I tend to exit firefox periodically and that seems to
help.  I say seems, because this is not reproducible at will and thus
hard to reason about.