Re: How big should wd0e (/var) be

I think a fourth of the disk should be for /var and a fourth for /
and the rest for /home

xuser%sdf.org@localhost
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023, joelp%sdf.org@localhost wrote:

I look at it in exactly the opposite way - it fills me with joy to
see that something has gone wild and filled a partition, and I didn't
even notice, as everything I'm doing is elsewhere, not being bothered.
[Turn on process accounting, and do a few full builds, and /var/account
will soon take over whatever space you have allowed it to occupy.]

I stopped using many partitions on my BSD servers (except OpenBSD router
where I use defaults), and my Rock64 type devices have only 1 partition
(plus tmpfs etc); but for those Aarch64 devices that's how the image
comes.

It's interesting though that my (FreeBSD) ZFS server has many mount points
because of various datasets. So, I decreased the OS partitions generally
but more than made up for it in datasets.

-Joel