Re: How big should wd0e (/var) be

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 09:54:32AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> That's a matter of opinion.   Traditional practice was to separate it,
> to protect / from filling up, and to keep fs churn on / down for greater
> likelihood of things being ok.

Well, yes, definitely a matter of opinion but the history was rooted in
the fact that disks were not that large back in the day so you had
multiple drives to cope and there were no journalling file systems so a
crash could be dire.

These days, disks are relatively capacious and we have journalling on
file systems readily available which means the fsck time is not an issue.
So, there are fewer reasons to separate out the partitions, especially
on a personal machine.

Sure, there are some instances where separating /var and /var/tmp and
even /var/mail are a good thing but it really isn't a must do.

> correct size for /var depends on what you put in it!

Yes, that is the problem and it is really painful when you undershoot or
even overshoot on other partitions and find you really need that space
elsewhere.

--
Brett Lymn
--