Re: How big should wd0e (/var) be

Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost> writes:

> Sure, there are some instances where separating /var and /var/tmp and
> even /var/mail are a good thing but it really isn't a must do.

Agreed; I didn't mean to say it was mandatory.  I was objecting to "it's
never a good idae".

>> correct size for /var depends on what you put in it!
>
> Yes, that is the problem and it is really painful when you undershoot or
> even overshoot on other partitions and find you really need that space
> elsewhere.

Yes, but if / isn't the whole disk or really large, you run into the
same space issue with / that you did with /var.

On my current, non-space-challenged system which has 32G of RAM and a 4T
SSD, I have
  2GB /
  40 GB swap
  8 GB /var
  64 GB /usr
  rest zfs pool

/var would have 2G usage but for an unusual reason it is just over 3G.
/usr (which has /usr/pkg and /usr/pkg/pgsql, and about 1400 packages) is
at 20G.  And no swap is used.   Still, saving 50G wouldn't really change
my zfs pool size.

If you are tight on space, then you have to think harder.