Re: How to install KDE on NetBSD?

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 16:16, Barry Scott <barry%barrys-emacs.org@localhost> wrote:

> I did find that xset, xsetroot and xprop are used by kstart so I installed them as well.

These should be part of the native Xorg.

> I becomig convinced that the problem is that there is config limt on the number of open files.
> Either as a whole system limit or as a per process limit.

This is the only change I have in my /etc/sysctl.conf :

kern.maxfiles=16384
security.pax.mprotect.enabled=0
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=131072
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=131072
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto=1
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto=1

> I tried:
>
> sysctl -w proc.curproc.rlimit.descriptors.hard=100000
>
> and added to the start of startkde:
>
> ulimit -n 10000
>
> KDE seems to get further but its still not getting to a working desktop.
> I'm not seeing the too many open files in .xsession-errors like I was.
>
> I am seeing errors like this:
>
> vmnetbsd# more .xsession-errors
> .xsession-errors: Too many open files in system
>
> When you are running KDE you must be doing some config to up the open file limits I'm assuming.

Nothing besides the mentioned above. However, I am running -current as
of yesterday and each and every package is locally built. I haven't
tried the package sets available from the NetBSD foundation yet. I
actually have two build hosts with different /etc/mk.conf files, using
different versions of python and a few other bits.

> What are you configuring and where?

AS I said, nothing special. This is the relevant part of my /etc/rc.conf:

sshd=YES
mdnsd=YES
httpd=YES
wscons=YES
rpcbind=YES          rpcbind_flags="-l"      # -l logs libwrap
mountd=YES           mountd_flags=""         # NFS mount requests daemon
nfs_client=YES                                       # enable client daemons
nfs_server=YES                                       # enable server daemons
lockd=YES            lockd_flags=""
statd=YES            statd_flags=""
ntpdate=YES
winbindd=YES
smbd=YES
nmbd=YES
dbus=YES
mpd=YES
hal=YES
avahidaemon=YES
autofs=YES              automount_flags=""
cupsd=YES
cups_browsed=YES

so there is dbus, hal, avahi running. I also build kde4 without samba
(PKG_OPTIONS.kde-runtime4+= -samba in /etc/mk.conf, as this used to
bring samba3, I am using samba4, even as a AD DC in a few systems).

--
----