Re: How to install KDE on NetBSD?

> On 19 Sep 2020, at 21:33, Barry Scott <barry%barrys-emacs.org@localhost> wrote:
>

>> On 19 Sep 2020, at 12:26, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 2:34 AM Barry Scott <barry%barrys-emacs.org@localhost> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to install KDE on NetBSD 9.
>>>
>>> Is there a guide I can follow with the details of which
>>> packages and config are required?
>>
>> Make yourself aware of pkgsrc and pkgin.
>>
>> When you get it set up, it should be as easy as "pkgin install kde4".
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I'm using VMware to run NetBSD 9 in case that matters.
>
> I installed a fresh VM 4GiB RAM, 2 cores; setup pkgin and pkgsrc.
>
> % pkgin install kde4
>
> Setup /etc/rc.conf to turn on the services that the install seems to need:
>
> ---- /etc/rc.conf
> if [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ]; then
>        . /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> fi
>
> hostname=vmnetbsd
> # If this is not set to YES, the system will drop into single-user mode.
> #
> rc_configured=YES
>
> # Add local overrides below.
> #
> dhcpcd=YES
> dhcpcd_flags="-qM wm0"
> sshd=YES
> ntpd=YES
> ntpdate=YES
> mdnsd=YES
> wscons=YES
> kdm=YES
> avahidaemon=YES
> famd=YES
> dbus=YES
> ---- /etc/rc.conf
>
> I did not add samba etc as I assume that if I'm not going to use WIndows shares its not required.
>
> kdm does not start automatically. Do I need to add to /etc/rc.local?
> I start kdm from a ssh session:
>
> % kdm
>
> I see on the screen shows the KDM login dialog andlogin as me.
> I see the kde4 iniit icons fill in.
>
> Then I see the screen that splits 50% left and right with
> half a window showing and that all that happens.
>
> In .Xsession I see a huge number of messages.
> I think this is the interesting one:
>
> QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files

Here is the head of .xsession-errors

startkde: Starting up...
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kded(940)/kdeui (KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to establish shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory -- memory usage will increase
kbuildsycoca4 running...
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/duckduckgo_shopping.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/ecosia.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/en2de.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/en2es.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/en2fr.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/en2it.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/es2en.desktop