Re: How to install KDE on NetBSD?

On 19 Sep 2020, at 21:31, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

# cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/kdm /etc/rc.d
# echo kdm=YES >> /etc/rc.conf
# /etc/rc.d/kdm start

should be enough.

I see the services are not setup on install I have to copy the exaples into /etc/rc.d.

So that I have all th services I did this:

# cp /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/* /etc/rc.d

Now kdm starts up. BUt the issue of kde not completing the login still exists.
Here is the head of .xsession-errors

startkde: Starting up...
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kded(399)/kdeui (KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to establish shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory -- memory usage will increase
kbuildsycoca4 running...
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/ecosia.desktop
QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /usr/pkg/share/kde4/services/searchproviders/en2de.desktop

Is the shared memory errors normal?

Is this a problem of /etc/login.conf or /etc/sysctl.conf settings for the open files?

I tried this /etc/login.conf but no change in behaviour:

default:\
        :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R7/bin /usr/pkg/bin /usr/pkg/sbin /usr/local/bin:\
        :umask=022:\
        :datasize-max=512M:\
        :datasize-cur=512M:\
        :maxproc-max=1024:\
        :maxproc-cur=1024:\
        :openfiles-cur=2048:\
        :stacksize-cur=16M:\
        :copyright=/dev/null:

#
# Settings used by /etc/rc and root
# This must be set properly for daemons started as root by inetd as well.
# Be sure reset these values back to system defaults in the default class!
#
daemon:\
        :ignorenologin:\
        :datasize=infinity:\