Re: Booting from a USB disk

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 09:31:31AM +0200, Vincent DEFERT wrote:
> My first installation attempt consisted in deleting the FreeBSD
> partition but keeping the EFI one. I went through the whole
> installation without any trouble, but the system refused to
> reboot (can't remember the message).

This probably means you had a boot environment setup for FreeBSD
(as their boot partition + contents was still there and registered with the
firmware).

What the installer does *not* do is zap any environment settings that other
OSes could have done - it is possibel to use the same EFI partition for
different boots (and internally we don't have the API to access EFI boot
services/enviroment from userland).

> However, after using the gpt command to destroy the GPT
> table and create a new layout with a 128 MB EFI partition, the
> installation works as well as before, but the system now boots
> normally.

Now you deleted the FreeBSD boot stuff, and everything worked fine.

Should be totally unrelated to the partition size.

Martin