Re: Panic: no console device

bob%fanatick.org@localhost (Bob Bernstein) writes:

>I see from some research that I am not the first (of course! duh
>Bob!) to run afoul this mishap with the boot manager:

>Fn: diskn
>1. NetBSD

>...with nary a hint of my Windows partition on this disk, and
>this even after I went back and reassigned "active" to the
>Windows partition after I had at first given that privilege to
>my new NetBSD partition.

You only see the partitions that have a menu entry. You can
set a menu entry when you create or update a partition
in the MBR, .e.g. with 'fdisk -u'.

>With 'fdisk -B' I edited the boot selector to look like this:

>0 The first active partition
>1.NetBSD
>2.Harddisk 0

>...and agreed to write those changes to the MBR, but they never
>appear at boot time, only when I execute 'fdisk -B'.

The boot selector lets you

boot from the first active partition (hit "return")
boot from a partition with a menu entry (hit a digit '1'..)
load the MBR of a drive (hit F1.. or 'a'.. for the serial console)

fdisk -B only configures the timeout for the boot selector and the
default choice when no key was pressed. To add your windows
partition you need to give it a menu entry with fdisk -u.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost