Re: 7.0_RC1 slow boot

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 12:39:24PM +0200, Frank Wille wrote:
> Alan Barrett wrote:
>
> > It's not just checking whether a pid is alive, it's checking whether
> > the PID represents a shell running /etc/rc, to guard against pids being
> > recycled.  That part is probably unnecessary.
> >
> > I can also reduce the number of times _have_rc_postprocessor is called.
>
> Thanks. I can make comparison tests on some classic hardware, as soon as a
> new patch is available.
>
> I think this would be quite important to fix for 7.0, as it affects all
> hardware with a weaker CPU. And NetBSD runs on a lot of this hardware
> (embedded, NAS, etc.).

I think the performance issue is serious enough to justify reverting the
change in its entirety.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart