Re: 7.0_RC1 slow boot

On 12.07.2015 21:02, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:47:13PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
I also tested 7.99.19, and it is just as slow to boot as 7.0_RC1, and
vmstat numbers are pretty much the same.

See:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2015/06/01/msg009153.html

That helped, but only about 1-2 seconds, so with that 7.0_RC1 boot is 43
seconds compared to 11 seconds of 6.1.5. But I looked at other rc
changes in 7.0, and reverting revision 1.94 of etc/rc.subr restored the
boot speed back to the same level as in 6.1.5, and number of forks
dropped back from over 1000 to less than 300.

At a glance the diffs do look like they should not cause any forks, but
maybe someone should take a closer look.

In the not very scientific qemu boot time test -current kernel is also
unfortunately slightly slower to boot 6.1.5 userland than 6.1.5 or 7.0
kernel.

This would be interesting to analyze closer. Sparc is not in the set of
architectures that switches DIAGNOSTIC off on release branches and on
again in -current (AFAICT), so this must be something else.

I'll try to see if I can get some more details.

Arto