Re: 7.0_RC1 slow boot

On July 13, 2015 6:14:47 AM EDT, Arto Huusko <armihu%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>On 12.07.2015 21:02, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:47:13PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
>>> I also tested 7.99.19, and it is just as slow to boot as 7.0_RC1,
>and
>>> vmstat numbers are pretty much the same.
>>
>> See:
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2015/06/01/msg009153.html
>
>That helped, but only about 1-2 seconds, so with that 7.0_RC1 boot is
>43
>seconds compared to 11 seconds of 6.1.5. But I looked at other rc
>changes in 7.0, and reverting revision 1.94 of etc/rc.subr restored the
>boot speed back to the same level as in 6.1.5, and number of forks
>dropped back from over 1000 to less than 300.
>
>At a glance the diffs do look like they should not cause any forks, but
>maybe someone should take a closer look.

That diff appears to replace a simple "-n" test with a function that does an eval, a kill and a expr, the last with an embedded command substitution to run ps, so it'll definitely cause more forks.  It's aimed at determining whether some pid is alive, but it seems like an awful lot of work to be doing just for that.

Eric