Re: X11 makes black screen

    From: Riccardo Mottola <> [131002 20:16]
    I'm still trying to "unbrick" my old faithful laptop here.
    To simplify things, I stopped using dhclient. I did configure my IP
    statically and put the short and long hostname in hosts.
    If I boot without the network card (= no network) or put the network
    card in after boot, X11 starts up beautifully!
    If I run the network script in rc.d or leave the network card in so that
    it configures at boot, X will hang. Before booting, I checked that I can
    ping myself both as localhost as with the short host name. I'm quite
    clueless! The setup is quite similar to my newer laptop, except that I
    am running 6.1 instead of "current".
    Having thus excluded dhclient, I think this is some kind of bug.

If not done yet, run a hardware test (my laptop, Thinkpad, has it in the
setup). Especially the ram-chips and the video ram is a good idea to

Is this some pcmcia network card or an original, internal one?

herb langhans