Re: X11 makes black screen

Hi,

Martin Husemann wrote:
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45:19PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Independently if I have my own xinitrc, startx may:
1) end up with a black screen, nothing seen, no cursor, no anything
2) startup, consoles, clock load, then nothing "works" except moving the
cursor. I cannot select any terminal, make a menu appear (twm) iconize
windows, nothing
3) work fine (happened once for now)
This sounds like a driver problem to me - I have seen similar symptoms
when the blitter queue on a card "got stuck" somewhere, i.e. the driver
was unable to send new commands to the blitter hardware.
Actually, I was able to reproduce 1) and 3) in a reliable manner. Let's ignore 2) for now, which happened just once or twice.

If I boot the laptop and directly start X it works. I get as a user to a working X environment, including windowmaker, etc. I can exit X, re-start X11 again, it works

When I boot, I do not have network configured. I insert into the laptop either a LAN or a WLAN card and run manually dhclient on it.
Once I do that, I get into the "X starts and gets black screen" forever.

Interestingly, logging in remotely and killing all X related process (which do die) doesn't bring back a console, a black screen remains.

This looks quite weird.

Riccardo
null