Re: X11 makes black screen

Hi,

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 10:44:21 +0200, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 11:56:36PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
One additional thing that confused me: I need a valid .xinitrc, wich I
had for me as "user" but when starting as root, I had not and apparently
there is no default and modern Xorg make a black screen, thus that was
further adding confusion to my tests.

We default "X" to "retro" mode (gray stiples), just to avoid this kind of
confusion during testing. Within startx, however, we assume a local
client environment will start up, so pass the "-noretro" option to the
X server.

However, you are supposed to have a system default xinitrc in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which for me would bring up a xclock, three xterms
and twm. Why did that not work in your case?

You are right, I have that default and it appears to work. The fact is more complicated.

Independently if I have my own xinitrc, startx may:
1) end up with a black screen, nothing seen, no cursor, no anything
2) startup, consoles, clock load, then nothing "works" except moving the cursor. I cannot select any terminal, make a menu appear (twm) iconize windows, nothing
3) work fine (happened once for now)

Riccardo