Re: Configuring SLIP interface to use mobile phone as modem

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 09:19:57PM +0200, Nino on NetBSD 5.0.1 wrote:
> Are you sure? From my point of view, SLIP and PPP use the same devices and
> besides being more "funky" in the configuration options, I see no advantage
> of PPP over SLIP. For all I know, it might even be more insecure.
>
> Back on topic: Mayuresh, are you sure it is just ttyU0? I have witnessed in
> the past the weird and funny situation of a cell phone showing up as BOTH U0
> and U1, and ONLY ONE of these actually WORKING.
>
> Try connecting (as root) to the phone over "cu", e.g. cu -l ttyU0
>
> If you can then say AT and get OK, then your modem is principally
> operational. If you get an error, then you have a principal problem away from
> PPP and SLIP.

I did try tip, though not cu and was able to converse with the modem fine
with AT commands etc. on ttyU0.

As regards SLIP, I find that N900 does have a slip module and slattach
command. So I assume it supports SLIP.

I supposed slattach will have to be run on N900 as well to be able to
establish SLIP connection. I wasn't able to figure out the device.  It is
supposed to be /dev/ttyS0 on N900 which cause I/O errors. Trying a few
others arbitrarily (my bad) crashed N900.

So that's the SLIP story. Perhaps it should work, just that don't know how
to make it work.

Regarding ppp, I get some messages on both sides as posted here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/10/07/msg011638.html

Not sure how to get over these errors.

Mayuresh