Re: Configuring SLIP interface to use mobile phone as modem

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 09:19:57PM +0200, Nino on NetBSD 5.0.1 wrote:
> Are you sure? From my point of view, SLIP and PPP use the same devices and
> besides being more "funky" in the configuration options, I see no advantage
> of PPP over SLIP. For all I know, it might even be more insecure.

Well, regardless of whether there are any advantages or not, SLIP and
PPP aren't compatible protocols, so if the phone is expecting PPP, you
need to speak PPP to it, not SLIP. And I don't know of any phones that
speak SLIP--only ones that speak PPP.

> Back on topic: Mayuresh, are you sure it is just ttyU0? I have witnessed in
> the past the weird and funny situation of a cell phone showing up as BOTH U0
> and U1, and ONLY ONE of these actually WORKING.
>
> Try connecting (as root) to the phone over "cu", e.g. cu -l ttyU0
>
> If you can then say AT and get OK, then your modem is principally
> operational. If you get an error, then you have a principal problem away from
> PPP and SLIP.

Agreed, first make sure you can send AT commands to the phone. Once
that part's confirmed to work, you can move on to the PPP part.
INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 36 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++