Re: Configuring SLIP interface to use mobile phone as modem

On 10/6/2012 2:15 PM, Mayuresh wrote:
My setup: NetBSD 6.0 rc1 on i386, Nokia N900 connected with USB cable.

Kernel is configured to support ucom0, umodem0 and sl psuedo device.

On connecting the modem is identified as umodem0

Firstly I assume, SLIP is the right method to use as I do not need to dial
like in ppp, just need to connect with the device over USB LAN.

I don't know anything about the N900, but SLIP is almost certainly not the right protocol. Are you sure it's not PPP? On all the phones I've used, to get a GPRS/3G data connection, I use PPP and use "*99#" as the phone number. http://nokiaexperts.com/nokia-n900-tips-n900-modem-apple-mac/ is about connecting it to a Mac, but it seems to confirm that it uses PPP with *99# as the number, like other phones.