Re: Configuring SLIP interface to use mobile phone as modem

On Feb 27,  3:55pm, "Nino on NetBSD 5.0.1" wrote:
}
} Are you sure? From my point of view, SLIP and PPP use the same
} devices and besides being more "funky" in the configuration options,
} I see no advantage of PPP over SLIP. For all I know, it might even be
} more insecure.

     If something is expecting you to speak PPP, then you can't use
SLIP.  Period!  Although both are ways of transporting IP (PPP can
transport more then just IPv4), they are vastly different in terms of
connection setup (SLIP has none).  Also, SLIP has absolutely no
security of any sort apart from the physical connection.  SLIP is
nothing more then stuffing IPv4 packets down a serial line.  There is
no authentication, negotiation, or anything else.

     BTW, SLIP is an obsolete protocol that will rarely be seen in the
wild.  In fact, apart from your recent comments, I don't think I've
heard anybody mention the word "SLIP" in years.

}-- End of excerpt from "Nino on NetBSD 5.0.1"