Re: Compiling 6.0_RC1 fails

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Thomas Mueller

> > I'm sorry to jump in, and not able to provide complete details at this
> > time, but this sounds like an open bug I reported couple years ago.
> > Search for my email in the bug tracker and it should be easy to find
> > (most recent).
> > In summary, I was developing procedure scripts to format media,
> > install the os, checkout sources from cvs, then build and install the
> > updated distribution. It always failed with the first build
> > distribution, something about sed not available in tools. The fix was
> > to build distribution again and it would always work the second time
> > through.
> > I never tracked down the issue, but I believe it exists in netbsd-4,
> > netbsd-5 and whatever the tag for netbsd-6 is now.
> > More details are in the issue report, I will followup next week if
> needed.
> > -George
> What special parameters do you use with the second time?
> Do you use -u, or maybe -r?
> Tom

That was the confusing part, there wasn't anything wrong with the commands.
The remains of the first run, and simply running the command a second time
resolves the issue (albeit taking quite a while).

mkdir /usr/netbsd-5-1-RC1
cd /usr/netbsd-5-1-RC1
cvs -qd co -r netbsd-5-1-RC1 -P
cd ./src
sh release && sh iso-image

run the command a second time:
sh release && sh iso-image
and it completes without error.

as you can see I just used the default targets. There is some
circular dependency (I guess) that has only caused me problems building a
release from a fresh checkout. In the issue, David Holland gave some good
info to focus the problem but I don't have a host or lab up now, so have
not made a followup. Per discussions, I expect this is in 6 RC too.

George Georgalis, (415) 894-2710,