Re: ports

On 8/31/2012 19:20, Julio Merino wrote:
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM, John Marino<netbsd%marino.st@localhost>
wrote:

To be fair, on FreeBSD a "port" refers to the set of files in the ports tree
that build a package.  With pkgsrc, _BOTH_ the set of files AND the built
software are called a package.

If you want to remove the ambiguity: the former is a "source package"
and the latter is a "binary package".

The term "port" should never be used in a pkgsrc context to refer to
packages.  (If you are curious as to why NetBSD has never used "port"
in this context, it is because port is the terminology to refer to a
particular adaptation of NetBSD to a platforms: e.g. NetBSD/amd64,
NetBSD/i386, etc.)

Yep, I always understood that port meant this for NetBSD and that's why the word is not used in pkgsrc. I think the context of the sentence will always correctly identify the subject (pkgsrc vs. platform) but it's logical to avoid the potential ambiguity altogether.