Re: Latest NetBSD 6.0_RC1

On Sunday 19 August 2012 17:02:50 Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Dave Tyson wrote:
> > Just CVS'ed up and built a GENERIC kernel for  6.0_RC1 on i386. The build
> > reported no errors, but the resulting kernel crashes very early on and
> > reboots the machine.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Mine boots and runs but apache24 won't start because of missing
> SSL_SESSION_get_compress_id. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

An update. I managed to install RC1 on 4 other i386 systems of varying vintage
without any problems whatsoever. These included a core duo Lenovo laptop and
various Pentium 4 systems with Intel motherboards.

Going back to the system, my main desktop, where the problem occured (also
Pentium 4 with an Intel motherboard) I found that the cause of the problem was
the commit just before RC1 which removed options DIAGNOSTIC from the GENERIC
config. Build a kernel with that option in force and the result boots
perfectly:

NetBSD darkstar.anduin.org.uk 6.0_RC1 NetBSD 6.0_RC1 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Aug 30
15:54:12 BST 2012
root%darkstar.anduin.org.uk@localhost:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
i386

Compile a kernel with the DIAGNOSTIC commented out and the resultant kernel
starts to load, but before the NetBSD header is displayed the machine reboots.
Must be something very early on and probably timing related.

I guess I need to checkout a very early release of 6, uncomment DIAGNOSTIC,
and see if that suffers the same problem, working  forward till I find the
problem commit.  Unless anyone else has a better suggestion!

Dave

Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org
Caving: http://www.wirralcavinggroup.org.uk