Re: Latest NetBSD 6.0_RC1

On Thursday 30 August 2012 20:01:15 Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 04:41:07PM +0100, Dave Tyson wrote:
> > I guess I need to checkout a very early release of 6, uncomment
> > DIAGNOSTIC, and see if that suffers the same problem, working  forward
> > till I find the problem commit.  Unless anyone else has a better
> > suggestion!
>
> There is not a lot of code that runs before printing the copyright.
> You could try a kernel that has DEBUG but not DIAGNOSTIC and see if you
> get the printout from pmap_bootstrap (in src/sys/arch/x86/x86/pmap.c):
>
> #if defined(DEBUG)
>                 aprint_normal("kernel text is mapped with %" PRIuPSIZE "
> large " "pages and %" PRIuPSIZE " normal pages\n",
>                     howmany(kva - KERNBASE, NBPD_L2),
>                     howmany((vaddr_t)&__data_start - kva, NBPD_L1));
> #endif /* defined(DEBUG) */
>
> If you don't get that far, there are a few ifdef DIAGNOSTIC in various
> assembler files in arch/i386/i386 that should be tested next (haven't
> looked at which of them might be relevant to early bootstrap, and I'm
> not exactly an i386 expert).
>
> Please file a PR anyway!
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

tried your suggestion. Irritatingly a GENERIC kernel with just DEBUG defined
also boots fine. I'll have a look at some of the early kernel stuff next week
and also play with an early snapshot of 6 and see if I can gain any clues.
RC1 works fine on other machines and no-one else has reported a problem.
I have filed kern/46885 so that if other people have problems then at least
it's documented.

Dave

Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org