Re: Re (2): OT: SPARC 13W3 video (cable) adapters

Hello,

On Jun 21, 2012, at 1:36 PM, Scrap Happy wrote:

Hi Andrew,

On 6/20/2012 10:03 PM, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 03:57:29PM -0700, Scrap Happy wrote:
On 6/3/2012 1:25 PM, peter%easthope.ca@localhost wrote:

This cable works just as you describe on my Sparcstation 2 with
an old moitor.  I can report the monitor spec. if you need it.
I have no complaint with the price or function of the cable.

Thanks!  I will make a note of it (busy chasing some other issues
at the present time).

I'm a week late responding to this but be careful: they may well
not work on any given monitor.  The older Suns present a composite
sync-on-green signal as opposed to separate H/V sync on dedicated
pins as expected by PC monitors: this difference isn't something
that can be bridged by a passive cable but needs active electronics.

IRC, the Creator series have a separate composite sync.

I think at least ffb2+ can do both, plus separate sync.
That said, IIRC most Sun monitors were rebadged Sonys anyway.
Also, most (all?) Sun graphics hardware seems to default to sync on green ( even the 'cheap' PCI cards do ) so that's really all you need to watch out for. Finally, if the card supports DDC2 it may switch to whatever sync protocol the monitor claims to support ( and some monitors seem to lie about their capabilities ). This includes Creator and all PCI cards.

I think the Indy's were SoG.

SGI is weird. For example, the IMPACT series of graphics boards could produce sync signals on any colour channel. Newport is sync on green only IIRC, might support separate sync, I didn't look at the docs in a while but it certainly defaults to sync on green, if only for tradition.

 I can't speak for any of the
older/smaller Sun 4's (or prior) as I've discarded everything
except SB2000/U60/SB150/etc.  (I may still have a 128MB LX
hidden away somewhere -- always found the LX to be "cute")

IIRC CG6, CG3 and so on are all hard wired to sync on green.

I've already got some passive adapters that work.  The reason
behind my initial post (Jan 2012) was to find a source of
additional adapters as the ones I have don't seem to bear
much by way of identification (just molded blobs of plastic
with 13W3 and HDE15).  With two heads in each machine, I
don't have enough adapters available...

IIRC the difference between Sun and SGI 13W3 wiring is where they put the sync signals and monitor ID pins ( and therefore, things like DDC2 ), if any. I have one adaptor that works fine with all my SGIs but only some Suns, with DDC2 not working, and one that's the other way around. I think some monitors get confused if there's garbage where they expect some sort of sync signal. So far I just made sure whatever monitor I buy supports sync on green and always got them to work at least with the Suns.

have fun
Michael