Re: Maintaining alternative OS: emulator vs linux emulation layer

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 03:57:43PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> It depends on what you want to do. If you come up with a list of things that
> don't work, we might be able to fix them.

There are a few things that require me to switch the OS. I'll try to cite
their description in some past threads to the extent I recollect:

I'll be glad if as many of these as feasible could be resolved, so that I
don't have to maintain two OSes.

At OS level:

HP USB multifunction printer/scanner support:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/11/20/msg009600.html
(I feel hplip is written in quite Linux specific way. So not sure what's
the best way out.)

DVD writing, DMA speed error
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.general/33185

A terminal (such as mlterm) with UTF8 support (also reported upstream,
though problem seems specific to NetBSD)
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.general/32618

Among applications I have a wish list somewhat like this:

Don't find a good voip client, preferably with CLI:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/04/08/msg010411.html

I wish to get pyuno to work with either libre or open office
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2012/03/18/msg046959.html

Framebuffer (for use with applications like fbi) (not sure whether OS
level issue or a matter of porting fbi to NetBSD)
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-wip-review/2012/02/26/msg001369.html

Java plugin for firefox (not so critical though)
http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=45663

Also wish these wip packages become usable soon:
- Google chrome browser
- libreoffice for 6.0
- virtualbox

Mayuresh