Re: Maintaining alternative OS: emulator vs linux emulation layer

In article <20120602162625.GA11227%SDF.ORG@localhost>,
Mayuresh  <> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 03:57:43PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> It depends on what you want to do. If you come up with a list of things that
>> don't work, we might be able to fix them.
>There are a few things that require me to switch the OS. I'll try to cite
>their description in some past threads to the extent I recollect:
>I'll be glad if as many of these as feasible could be resolved, so that I
>don't have to maintain two OSes.

There is a very good list :-)

>At OS level:
>HP USB multifunction printer/scanner support:
>(I feel hplip is written in quite Linux specific way. So not sure what's
>the best way out.)
>DVD writing, DMA speed error

That's not hard (marvell driver support)

>A terminal (such as mlterm) with UTF8 support (also reported upstream,
>though problem seems specific to NetBSD)

This does not seem too hard either. You could file a netbsd-specific PR too.

>Among applications I have a wish list somewhat like this:
>Don't find a good voip client, preferably with CLI:

That's tough. I've been fighting to get linux skype working again.

>I wish to get pyuno to work with either libre or open office

This should be again easy to fix in the package. You can file a PR.

>Framebuffer (for use with applications like fbi) (not sure whether OS
>level issue or a matter of porting fbi to NetBSD)

>Java plugin for firefox (not so critical though)

I had this working at somepoint. I will take a look again.

>Also wish these wip packages become usable soon:
>- Google chrome browser
>- libreoffice for 6.0
>- virtualbox

For me the hardest now is the USB stuff and VOIP.