Re: server crashing

On 23 August 2011 13:49, Greg Troxel <> wrote:
> Al - Image Hosting Services <> writes:
>> The system running rsync is a 450 Mhz PowerPC running NetBSD 4 and the
>> NFSD system is a 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo running NetBSD 5.1. Also, on NetBSD
>> 4 the server would start 4 nfsd processes, where on NetBSD 5.1 it only
>> starts 1. I have to wonder if this isn't part of the issue.
>>> So I would recommend that you try rsync over ssh (with rsync installed
>>> on the machine with the destination disk).
>> I added bwlimit=512 and it seems to be working, but it is going to
>> take a very long time to backup 600+ GB of data. Would ssh put other
>> limitations on rsync?
> Also, check out rdiff-backup.  It uses rsync, but keeps history so that
> deleted files are kept accessible (but marked deleted) in the backup.

A variant on that is dirvish (I've used both, neither has lost any
data for me, would
recommend looking at the docs on both & then choosing).

For testing I would definitely suggest installing cpuburn and then
running multiple burnMMX processes - I've had at least two cases where
that flushed out an issue with a marginal power supply.