Re: server crashing

Hi,

On Aug 22, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 02:50:12PM -0400, Al Zick wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just leased a new server with NetBSD 5.1 on it. I have over 600 GB
>> of websites on it. It seems to run fine, serving pages happily until
>> I try to back it up with rsync over an nfs to another server on the
>> back end network. I just set kern.maxfiles = 65536 (double what it
>> was) and vfs.nfs.iothreads = 4 with sysctl. It does not give an
>> error that I can find in dmesg or messages. What could cause this
>> kind of crash? Just wondering if I need to be building another
>> custom kernel or limiting rsync somehow?
>
> What kind of crash?  You say "this kind" but you provide no
> details.  It's very hard for anyone to help you without a real
> bug report.

The server is in data center and I am not there. I don't have any
details of what happened. It didn't seem to log anything. There is no
errors. I just know that it is down, when my alarm goes off. If I am
not trying to back up with rsync then I don't have an issue. How
would I get the information that you are looking for?

Thanks,
Al