Re: server crashing

I think you said the problem happened with rsync over NFS.  Two things:

  rsync can stress disks and power supplies

  I am suspicious of NFS.

So I would recommend that you try rsync over ssh (with rsync installed
on the machine with the destination disk).

Also, I've found that wapbl on huge disks (2T) with small ram (512M) and
full-speed writing to that fs can cause problems, or at least by problem
seemed correlated with that.  But I also had problems with opencrypto
(soekris net5501) and I'm not 100% sure what was wrong - just that I
found a stable situation.