server crashing

Hi,

I just leased a new server with NetBSD 5.1 on it. I have over 600 GB of websites on it. It seems to run fine, serving pages happily until I try to back it up with rsync over an nfs to another server on the back end network. I just set kern.maxfiles = 65536 (double what it was) and vfs.nfs.iothreads = 4 with sysctl. It does not give an error that I can find in dmesg or messages. What could cause this kind of crash? Just wondering if I need to be building another custom kernel or limiting rsync somehow?

Thanks,
Al