Re: server crashing

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 08:49:15PM -0500, Al - Image Hosting Services wrote:

> I have NFSD running on one system and then I mounted /usr/web on the
> other. I then run rsync -auv --delete /usr/web/* /backup/web

This is an extremely inefficient way to use rsync.  It transfers the
entire contents of every file across the network whereas using
rsync in client/server mode would transfer only the differences.

I don't know why your system's crashing, but I do suggest that you
try running rsync as a daemon instead (the rsync:// mode of
operation) instead.  You'll need appropriate access controls for
this to be safe of course but it is certainly no worse than NFS!

Thor