Re: man pages not shown

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 11:00:12AM +0200, Registros Web wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Matthias Scheler
> <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 05:00:41PM +0200, feralert wrote:
> > > Im running NetBSD 5.1, I did an clean install and the man command works
> > > just
> > > fine with the default NetBSD, included commands. It only fails with the
> > > error message posted when i try to see the manual pages of the commands
> > > installed by me with pkg_add (such as gawk).
> >
> > The manual pages shipped with NetBDSD are provided as both unformatted and
> > formatted files. The later file format doesn't require processing with
> > "nroff" to look at them.
> >
> > > Following your advice I tried installing 'text' but there was no such a
> > > package in the ftp (or maybe i did something wrong).
> >
> > It is available here:
> >
> >  http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.1/<ARCH>/binary/sets/text.tgz
> >
> > Just replace "<ARCH>" with the output of "uname -p".
>
> I was wrong then, because I was looking in
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/5.1/i386 (arent they supposed
> to be the same?).

Non, this is for third-party packages, built from pkgsrc.
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.1/All is for
binaries part of the base system.

> Also, I got 'ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.1/All'
> configured so I can use pkg_add from the console (this is from the
> 'The pkgsrc user's guide'
> (http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/using.html#finding-binary-packages,
> 4.1.2. Installing binary packages), and didnt find it the neither.

You don't install base sets with pkg_add; just:
cd /tmp
ftp http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.1/i386/binary/sets/text.tgz
cd /
tar xzpf /tmp/text.tgz