Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD

Hi,

On Aug 2, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Alex Goncharov wrote:

,--- You/Daniel (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:12:48 +0200) ----*

| http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2009/02/09/msg001189.html
|
| The poster says that NetBSD is faster.

Since it was in response to my explorations: no offense to the NetBSD
users and developers, but after trying to use NetBSD for a while, I
had to turn back to FreeBSD, completely.  The performance of my
desktop environment has never been an issue for me, and if some
programs run 5% slower on FreeBSD, why would I care?  (But they
probably not, in recent FreeBSDs).

I use to run a site that had an Alexa rating of less than 500,000 on a 68k box. Can you guess what OS I used?

In my experiments, FreeBSD proved to be an altogether better
environment, with a superior developer support (just more people in
the project, perhaps).

I just done a remote install of NetBSD on a leased server because I was unhappy with their chooses of OSes.

,--- You/Daniel (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:16:37 +0200) ----*

| Isn't Xen just a virtual machine like QEMU, VirtualBox, etc? What makes | Xen special that people here talk about it while they don't talk about
| QEMU and VirtualBox?

VirtualBox works well on FreeBSD, and was significantly easier to
configure than Xen on NetBSD when I used that.  Also, that Xen (about
three years ago) used only one processor of a dual processor machine
-- I didn't like that at all and my Xen was quickly gone.

I don't see any reason that you can run NetBSD on VirtualBox if you wanted to. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would think you would want XEN on a server and not any of these others.

-Al