Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD

  Hello,

Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost> writes:

> ,--- You/Daniel (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:12:48 +0200) ----*
> |
> | http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2009/02/09/msg001189.html
> |
> | The poster says that NetBSD is faster.
>
> In my experiments, FreeBSD proved to be an altogether better
> environment, with a superior developer support (just more people in
> the project, perhaps).

I turned to NetBSD from FreeBSD just because of these reasons.
Given the number of people in project, FreeBSD has much worse performance
in my opinion. I have no other explanation why documentation and simple
one-line fixes have to sit in PR database for two years before being committed
(yes, it was exactly that what pissed me off the most around year 2007).
This also explains why it is better first to read NetBSD documentation
and then check for difference between systems when dealing with FreeBSD.

Another thing I didn't like in FreeBSD after getting acquainted with NetBSD,
is its ports. Having performed few critical upgrades of FreeBSD installations
I know pretty well where pkgsrc would have helped us not doing extra manual
work under hard time constraints.

> ,--- You/Daniel (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:16:37 +0200) ----*
> |
> | Isn't Xen just a virtual machine like QEMU, VirtualBox, etc? What makes
> | Xen special that people here talk about it while they don't talk about
> | QEMU and VirtualBox?
>
> VirtualBox works well on FreeBSD, and was significantly easier to
> configure than Xen on NetBSD when I used that.

Howto is pretty straightforward, I don't understand where you have found
problems in this respect.

--
HE CE3OH...