Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Alex Goncharov
<alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost> wrote:
> VirtualBox works well on FreeBSD, and was significantly easier to
> configure than Xen on NetBSD when I used that.  Also, that Xen (about
> three years ago) used only one processor of a dual processor machine
> -- I didn't like that at all and my Xen was quickly gone.

This seems like a common misconception.  Under NetBSD/Xen, NetBSD
itself can only use a single CPU, but the Xen hypervisor itself can
use all of them.  So your VMs can have multiple CPUs and the
hypervisor will schedule them correctly.

I agree with one of the other commenters about NetBSD doing the right
thing.  Part of the reason I love NetBSD is because it seems clean and
well designed.  FreeBSD just doesn't have that same feeling to me.  In
fact, the only reason I ever use FreeBSD anymore is if I need ZFS, and
I can't use a Solaris derivative.  While it's a fine OS, it just
doesn't have the same feeling of "done right", although it's miles
ahead in that area compared to Linux :).

Since this is all personal opinion, take it with a huge grain of salt,
especially since my first true *IX love was OSF/1 / DEC UNIX / Tru64,
so I'm sure that marks me as crazy :).

-Dustin