Re: MPPE / PPTP Problem

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 13:56 +0000, "Andrew Ross" <ar290%kent.ac.uk@localhost>
wrote:
> When I try to call, I receive what seems to be a confusing error
> message:
>
>  > CHAP authentication succeeded
>  > sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mppe +H -M +S -L -D -C>]
>  > rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x4 <mppe +H +M +S -L -D +C>]
>  > MPPE required but peer negotiation failed

I don't know anything about mppe, but this is odd: going by the flags at
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#mppe_bits you
sent a request for stateless 128-bit uncompressed connection, got back a
response saying the server supports those options (along with the
additional options of 56-bit encryption and compression), but then
your client concluded that the negotiation had failed when agreement is
clearly
possible.  You might try configuring your end to allow/request
compression, to see whether that helps.

http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#mppe_rbpnf seems
to contain some references to similar errors; perhaps you could start
from there?

Good luck,

Ian Leroux